Simon qualified from Cambridge in 1986 and joined a mixed practice in Cornwall. After 2 years, he realised small animal practice was his passion and moved to a small animal hospital practice in the North West where he started to focus on cardiology. This lead to his attaining the Certificate in Small Animal Cardiology in 1990 and becoming a partner in a large small animal referral emergency and first opinion practice in South Manchester. He stayed there for 15 years developing the practice and particularly the referral side. A month’s sabbatical to Missouri working with a world renown cardiologist, John Bonagura, lead to the consideration of further specialisation. In 2005 he joined Liverpool University Teaching Hospital as a lecturer in cardiology helping to build the referral service offered by the Hospital. This lead to the European Diploma in cardiology and specialist status. In 2009 he moved to his current position as the cardiologist at Northwest Surgeons in Frodsham, Cheshire, a dedicated referral practice.
Simon was asked to attend the 1991 Cavalier Championship show and this has lead to closer ties to the Club over the last 20 years. Simon regularly attends heart testing sessions across the country and advises the Club on cardiac problems particularly degenerative mitral valve disease and the breeding programme. Simon currently maintains the database for the Club.
Mitral valve disease has been a particular interest and Simon has taken part in several clinical trials establishing the optimum treatment for the disease. The most recent of these is the QUEST study.
- Management of Cor Triatrium Dexter by Balloon Dilation in Three Dogs. M Stafford Johnson, M Martin, JV Giovanni, A Boswood, S Swift JSAP 2004 45 (1) 16 – 20
- Efficacy and Safety of Pimobendan in Canine Heart Failure Caused by Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease. PJ Smith, A French, N Van Isreal, SGW Smith, S Swift, AJ Lee, J Dukes-McEwan, BM Corcoran. JSAP 2005 46 (3) 121 – 130
- Immunoglobulin Deficiency in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels with Pneumocystosis in the UK. PJ Watson, P Wotton, J Eastwood, S Swift, B Jones, M Day J Vet Int Med 2006 20 (3) 523 – 527
- Effects of Pimobendan or Benazepril Hydrochloride on Survival Times in Dogs with Congestive Heart Failure Caused by Naturally Occurring Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease: The QUEST Study. Häggström J, Boswood A, O’Grady M, Jöns O, Smith S, Swift S, Borgarelli M, Gavaghan B, Kresken JG, Patteson M, Ablad B, Bussadori CM, Glaus T, Kovacevic A, Rapp M, Santilli RA, Tidholm A, Eriksson A, Belanger MC, Deinert M, Little CJ, Kvart C, French A, Rønn-Landbo M, Wess G, Eggertsdottir AV, O’Sullivan ML, Schneider M, Lombard CW, Dukes–McEwan J, Willis R, Louvet A, DiFruscia R. J Vet Int Med 2008 1 – 12
- Implantable Loop Recorders: a Viable Diagnostic Tool in Veterinary Medicine. James R, Summerfield N, Loureiro J, Swift S and Dukes-McEwan J JSAP 2008 49 (11) 564 – 570
- Aetiology and outcome in 90 cats presenting with dyspnoea in a referral population. Swift S, Dukes–McEwan J, Fonfara S, Loureiro JF, Burrow R. J Small Anim Pract. 2009 Sep;50(9):466 – 73.23.
- The cardiac biomarker NT–proBNP is increased in dogs with azotemia. Raffan E, Loureiro J, Dukes-McEwan J, Fonfara S, James R, Swift S, Bexfield N, Herrtage ME, Archer J.J Vet Intern Med. 2009 Nov–Dec;23(6):1184 – 9.
- Cardiac troponin I as a marker for severity and prognosis of cardiac disease in dogs. Fonfara S, Loureiro J, Swift S, James R, Cripps P, Dukes–McEwan J. Vet J. 2010 Jun;184(3):334 – 9.
- Canine Dynamic Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Obstruction: Assessment of Myocardial Function and Clinical Outcome JSAP 2008 49 (11) 578 – 586
- Aldosterone antagonists in Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine Ed. S Ettinger and E Feldman 2010
Heritability of premature mitral valve disease in Cavalier King Charles spaniels. Lewis T, Swift S, Woolliams JA, Blott S. Vet J. 2010 Mar 25.
- Balloon valvuloplasty for treatment of pulmonic stenosis in English Bulldogs with an aberrant coronary artery. Fonfara S, Martinez Pereira Y, Swift S, Copeland H, Lopez–Alvarez J, Summerfield N, Cripps P, Dukes–McEwan J. J Vet Intern Med. 2010 Mar – Apr;24(2):354 – 9.
- English springer spaniels with significant bradyarrhythmias–presentation, troponin I and follow–up after pacemaker implantation. Fonfara S, Loureiro JF, Swift S, James RA, Pereira YM, Lopez–Alvarez J, Summerfield N, Dukes–McEwan J. J Small Anim Pract. 2010 Mar; 51(3):155-61.